From $115 per person
With instruction and practical training in line with legal, workplace and community considerations, Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines and other Australian national peak clinical bodies, this first aid course teaches the skills and knowledge to recognise emergencies and provide immediate and effective first aid treatment to any person suffering a sudden illness or injury.
The course covers assessing the casualty, providing safety, accessing emergency services, and using resources to provide first aid, such as providing CPR and using a defibrillator, administering an autoinjector for anaphylaxis, administering asthma medication, assisting someone choking, using appropriate immobilisation techniques for envenomation, fractures, dislocations, sprains and strains, managing casualties with non-life-threatening bleeding and shock.
You will learn basic anatomy, physiology and the differences between adults, children and infants relating to CPR, the importance of the chain of survival, written and verbal reporting of incident details, reviewing incidents to improve own skills and response times, to recognise psychological impacts, and seeking help as required.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
Participants must have the physical capacity to perform the practical demonstrations, such as 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on the floor.
Pre-course study: Students may be required to undertake online pre-course work prior to attending the face to face session depending on the course delivery mode.
Online study: Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Performance tasks and practical scenarios:
- Perform CPR on an adult (incl. the use of an AED and placing a casualty into the recovery position)
- Complete a first aid incident report form based on the simulated first aid scenario
- Perform CPR on an infant
- Manage a casualty with anaphylaxis
- Manage a casualty with asthma
- Manage a choking casualty
- Manage a casualty with non-life-threatening bleeding and shock, requiring minor wound cleaning
- Manage a casualty with a nosebleed
- Manage a casualty with a fracture and dislocation
- Manage a casualty with a sprain and strain
- Manage a casualty with envenomation (snake/ funnel-web spider bite)
Theory assessment: A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice questions.